resources for teens
Teens are continuing to develop core beliefs and values as they begin to think critically about their worldview. They begin to deal with issues surrounding identity and self-image as they ask questions about God’s will for their lives. Teens are learning social and cultural norms in relationships and begin to connect biblical truths to life situations. They begin to learn the importance of having boundaries in all spheres of life. Teens can lear to consistently practice spiritual disciplines.
Where do I start? What can my child understand? We want to help you answer these questions. Here are some statements that your child can understand based on their age. If they don’t know these, that is okay! These are phrases that you can help your kids understand as they learn more about God and His plan for them. Take it slow, this is a process not an instant miracle. These phrases will help give you context to begin conversations with your child.
• God is holy.
• God is Creator and worthy to be praised.
• God is everywhere at all times.
• God knows what people need and desire but still expects them to pray.
• God has concern and care for all people.
• God loves and values people around the world.
• God proved His unconditional love for people by sending Jesus.
• God is worthy of worship.
• God deserves respect, obedience, and honor.
• God is all-powerful and in control of all things.
• God is faithful and just.
• God is all-knowing.
• God has always been and always will be.
• God is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit (the Trinity).
• Jesus was born of a virgin.
• God planned for Jesus to be the Savior from the beginning of time.
• Jesus is fully God and fully man.
• Jesus taught that worship is focused on God.
• Jesus taught about faith, trust, and obedience to God.
• Jesus performed miracles through the power of God.
• People can obey Jesus as a response to His love.
• Jesus died to pay the penalty for sin.
• Jesus is the Messiah and Savior.
• Jesus was human and resisted temptation.
• Jesus ascended to heaven but promised He would return one day.
• Jesus is eternal.
• God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit are the Trinity.
• The Holy Spirit urges people to receive God’s salvation.
• The Holy Spirit is the Comforter.
• The Holy Spirit has worked and always will work in the world.
• The Holy Spirit helps Christians tell others about Jesus and God’s plan.
• The Holy Spirit guided people to write God’s words.
• The Holy Spirit convicts people of sin.
• The truths in the Bible will last forever.
• The Bible is God’s message about Himself.
• God inspired people to know what to write in the Bible.
• The Bible teaches that Jesus died on a cross, was buried, and was raised from the dead for the forgiveness of sins.
• The Bible teaches how to live a Christian life.
• God provided a plan for salvation because He loves me.
• Salvation is the beginning of a growing relationship with Jesus
that lasts forever. Through salvation, my sin is forgiven and the gift of eternal life with God begins.
• The punishment for sin is separation from God.
• Jesus died to pay the penalty for all my sins—past, present, and future.
• God’s salvation is a gift that every person needs and can receive.
• When the Holy Spirit convicts me of my sin, I can turn away from my sin (repent) and trust Jesus as my personal Savior.
• God spoke the world into existence from nothing.
• God created people in His image.
• God’s creation follows His plan.
• God wants people to take responsibility for taking
care of His creation.
• God is still at work in His creation and cares what happens in it.
• God wants people to praise Him for His creation.
• God made people in His image to have a personal relationship with Him.
• A church is a group of Christians who meet together to worship and serve God.
• Churches set apart people to do certain tasks.
• God uses the church to meet the needs of people in the community and around the world.
• God wants people to gather to worship Him.
• In addition to money, offerings can include time, talents, and possessions.
• The Lord’s Supper is a way to remind people about what Jesus did. Christians participate in the Lord’s Supper.
• Baptism by immersion shows that people have trusted Jesus as
Savior and Lord.
• God created me in His image.
• Each person is unique and of value to God.
• People are responsible for their choices.
• People can develop and use their abilities and talents in ways that please and honor God.
• God wants people to communicate with Him through praying and reading the Bible daily.
• People can follow the examples, teachings, and commands of Jesus.
• People can learn to love others as God loves them.
• People can learn to respond in positive ways to what happens to them.
• God wants every person to trust in Jesus as Savior and Lord.
• People can learn about and recognize God’s authority.
• People need to take care of their bodies and minds to honor God.
• God asks me to honor Him by choosing to do what is right and reject what is wrong.
• The Holy Spirit helps me know that when I have hurt others, I can ask them to forgive me.
• God wants people to have pure thoughts and actions.
• God wants believers to be disciples who grow in their faith and knowledge of Jesus.
• God’s plan for mothers and fathers is to teach their children about God. Parents are examples of how God is our heavenly Father.
• God’s plan is for all family members to work together so that God is honored by their family.
• God expects children to honor Him in the way they honor their parents.
• God wants families to worship together to help them grow stronger in their faith.
• In a wedding ceremony, a man and a woman make promises to God, to each other, and to all those present to be committed to each other through good and bad times.
• God loves families even when family members sin. God is always ready to forgive.
Community & World
• Even before they are born, people are special to God.
• God works through people to do work in their communities and world.
• All Christians are called to be on mission with God.
• People can pray for specific needs of others.
• God tells me to connect with others and show them His love.
• Missionaries are Christians called by God to tell another group of people the good news about Jesus.